Reports To: Residential Route Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The Co-driver works together with the Driver to support the activities in the collection of waste, green and recyclable material on designated routes, including driving and operating the refuse garbage truck.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Ability to safely operate the garbage truck controls.
- Ride along with Driver to assist in collection of refuse on assigned route.
- Work together with the Driver and be a second set of eyes from the ground to prevent accident and injuries.
- Interacts with all customers, dispatch, and others on a daily basis to ensure all customer routes are serviced in a timely and professional manner.
- Communicates with dispatchers concerning carts not out, vehicle blocking access, contaminated green and recycle and overloads.
- Assume the responsibilities of the driver when the driver is not available.
- Ability to perform a physically demanding job, loading and unloading.
- Develop and maintain a professional demeanor with customers.
Ensuring that Health and Safety is the number one priority by complying with all safe work practices, policies, and processes and acting in a safe manner at all times
- Performs pre- and post-operation inspection and complete the VCR (Vehicle Condition Report) book for the assigned vehicle in accordance with Company policy.
- Drives refuse truck to disposal area and disposes load.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Doing Good: Maintains and promotes integrity and values in conduct of all activities.
- Making Good: Takes responsibility and ownership for a problem, project, or issue.
- Treating Our People Well: Proactively seeks and finds ways to provide extraordinary service. Fosters respect for all individuals and points of view. Works cooperatively and effectively with others to achieve common goals characterized by pride, trust, and commitment.
- Observant: Ability to identify safety or operational deficiencies and to quickly implement a correction.
- Safety Matters: Actively participates in creating a safe and healthy workplace for our employees and our customers.
- Environmentally Focused: Takes initiative to preserve and improve our local environment for future generations. Makes everyday Earth Day.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES:
Customer Care, Communication, Dependable, Teamwork, Attention to Detail, and Efficiency Operation and Control — Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
Coordination — Adjusting actions in relation to others’ actions.
Critical Thinking — Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Operation Monitoring — Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure the vehicle is working properly.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must have clean driving record.
- Must have ability to understand and complete route sheets and dispatch tickets.
- Must have ability to read and interpret maps.
- Perform solid waste refuse collection and disposal tasks with minimal supervision.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to give full attention to assigned route. Drivers will navigate driveways, alleyways, lots, high traffic roadways and may operate in tight overhead environments. Highly skilled backing maneuvers are essential, to successfully perform this job.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Team player who follows directions.
- Ability to withstand all types of weather conditions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Less than high school education; or one year of driving experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
California Class A or B license, with airbrake and current medical certificate.
Ability to read and write English, interpret documents such as safety rules, operation and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. They should also be able to speak English effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratios, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee occasionally is required to sit; squat, kneel and/or crawl. The employee frequently must climb, reach above the shoulder level and use fine manipulation of hands. The employee constantly must walk, stand, bend at the neck and waist, twist at the neck and waste, grasp (simple and power) and push and pull. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and color vision.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or hum id conditions, fumes or airborne particles, extreme cold, and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.